Wednesday 25 May 2011

Hill of Rothmaise, Aberdeenshire.

Hill of Rothmaise

Hill of Rothmaise, Aberdeenshire. Section J6.
Height – 261 metres. Map – OS Landranger 29.
Climbed - 22 May 2011. Time taken – 1 hour.
Distance – 2.5 kilometres. Ascent – 125 metres.
Trip Report Details:


On planning my ascents of the Marilyns, Hills of Foudland and Tillymorgan I discovered that Hill of Rothmaise, located to the east of Hill of Tillymorgan, was a HuMP. However on studying my map there was no obvious route to the summit.

After ascending Hill of Tillymorgan I drove east from Culsalmond, on the A920, then along some minor roads looking for a suitable route to Hill of Rothmaise. I observed that the summit was surrounded by trees, as was the south side of the hill, this not being shown on my map. I was about to have a second look at a westerly approach when I spotted a car parked just off the main road, around 250 metres east of the junction with the B992 road to Auchterless. (NJ682328) On investigation I discovered a small car park and a directional sign for the hill.

A heavy shower prevented me from setting off immediately and as the rain eased a man, his two children and a dog, all looking rather bedraggled, returned to their car. He was local, so I enquired about a route to the summit and was advised there were several.

I took one of his recommended routes, which was slightly west of the car park and followed a wide fire break through, as a result of the rain shower, wet grass. The fire break swung round to an easterly direction and at NJ684332 I walked up a narrower fire break where there were traces of a path. Further along this break the trees were rather close together and I had to push my way through them. This narrow fire break will not be possible in future years as the trees mature.

The fire break led to the edge of the forest which I followed uphill before re-entering the trees and walking along another wide fire break to the summit trig point. Here I sat and had lunch with views south towards Bennachie. Views in other directions were restricted due to the fir trees.

After lunch my descent was by a slightly different route as I followed wide fire breaks until they rejoined the upward route at NJ684332.

Photos taken on walk.